22963 Carson Avenue
Exeter, CA 93221
559-592-2408 Ext 1154
Lindcove Research & Extension Center
Dr. Ashraf El-Kereamy joined UCCE on August 1, 2014 as Area Viticulture Advisor serving Kern, Tulare and Kings counties. On February 1, 2019, El-Kereamy was appointed Assistant Specialist in Cooperative Extension in the Department of Botany and Plant Sciences at UC Riverside.
El-Kereamy earned his Ph.D. in Agriculture with emphasis in Grape Physiology and Molecular Biology from INP-ENSAT, Toulouse University, Toulouse, France, and a M.Sc. in Pomology and B.Sc. in Horticulture, both from Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt.
Prior to joining UCCE, El-Kereamy worked as a post-doc / research associate on two occasions in the College of Biological Sciences at University of Guelph from 2013 to 2014, studying plant drought and heat stress tolerance in plants, and from 2008 to 2012, studying the genotypes variation in nitrogen use efficiency and plant heat stress tolerance. From July 2012 to October 2013, he held the position of assistant / associate professor in the Department of Horticulture, Ain Shams University, Egypt, where he taught undergraduate and postgraduate courses for horticultural science and served as PI for USA-Egypt joint collaborative research grant between Wyoming University and Ain Shams University (Improving grapevine tolerance to drought and heat stress using safe and eco-friendly technologies). El-Kereamy also worked as post-doctoral scientist in the Department of Plant Agriculture, University of Guelph, Vineland (April 2006 to February 2008), where he studied the pathogenesis related proteins during plum fruit ripening. Further, he worked as a post-doc at the Department of Plant Science, University of Manitoba (2004 to 2006), studying the physiological role of ABA in plants.
SpecialtySpecialist in Department of Botany and Plant Sciences at UC Riverside, focused on citrus and grape
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Plant Cmmdtys and Prod - General
- Tree Fruits - General
- Berries - General
- Berries - Other
- Grapes - General
- Raisin Grapes
- Table Grapes
- Grapes - Other
- Plants and Their Systems
- Plant Genome, Genetics, and Genetic Mechanisms
- Plant Genetic Resources
- Plant Biological Efficiency and Abiotic Stresses Affecting Plants
- Plant Product Quality and Utility (Preharvest)
- Plant Management Systems
- Basic Plant Biology
- Responding To Climate Change
- Research and Extension Centers
- Mahmood, K; El-Kereamy, A (2016). "ANAC032 positively regulates age-dependent and stress-induced senescence in Arabidopsis thaliana." Plant and Cell Physiology 57: 2029-2046.
- Casaretto, JA; El-kereamy, A (2016). "Expression of OsMYB55 in maize activates stress-responsive genes and enhances heat and drought tolerance." BMC Genomics 17(1): 1-15.
- Mahmood, K; Xu, Z (2016). "The Arabidopsis Transcription Factor ANAC032 Represses Anthocyanin Biosynthesis in Response to High Sucrose and Oxidative and Abiotic Stresses." Front Plant Sci 7: 1548.
- El-Kereamy, A; YM, Bi (2015). "Overexpression of the CC-type glutaredoxin, OsGRX6 affects hormone and nitrogen status in rice plants." Front Plant Sci 6: 934.
- Ranathunge, K.; El-Kereamy, A. (2014). "AMT1;1 transgenic rice plants with enhanced NH4(+) permeability show superior growth and higher yield under optimal and suboptimal NH4(+) conditions." J Exp Bot 65(4): 965-79.
- Guevara, D. R.; El-Kereamy, A. (2014). "Functional characterization of the rice UDP-glucose 4-epimerase 1, OsUGE1: a potential role in cell wall carbohydrate partitioning during limiting nitrogen conditions." PLoS One 9(5): e96158.
- Bi, Y. M.; Meyer, A. (2014). "High throughput RNA sequencing of a hybrid maize and its parents shows different mechanisms responsive to nitrogen limitation." BMC Genomics 15: 77.
- Coneva, V.; Simopoulos, C. (2014). "Metabolic and co-expression network-based analyses associated with nitrate response in rice." BMC Genomics 15: 1056.
- Hagagg, Laila F; Shahin, MFM (2013). "Changes in some physical and chemical fruit properties during fruit development stages of Egazyshamy and Tefahy olive cultivars grown in Sinai under saline conditions." Journal of Applied Sciences Research 9(2)
- Hagagg, Laila F; Shahin, MFM (2013). "Changes in some physical and chemical fruit properties during fruit development stages of some olive cultivars grown in North Sinai." Journal of Applied Sciences Research 9(2)
- El-kereamy, Ashraf; Jayasankar, Subramanian (2013). "Cloning and differential expression of a plum single repeat-MYB, PdMYB3, in compatible and incompatible interactions during fungal infection." Canadian Journal of Plant Science 93(4): 599-605.
- El-Kereamy, A.; Bi, Y. M. (2012). "The rice R2R3-MYB transcription factor OsMYB55 is involved in the tolerance to high temperature and modulates amino acid metabolism." PLoS One 7(12): e52030.
- El-Kereamy, A.; Guevara, D. (2011). "Exploring the molecular and metabolic factors contributing to the adaptation of maize seedlings to nitrate limitation." Front Plant Sci 2: 49.
- El-kereamy, A.; El-sharkawy, I. (2011). "Prunus domestica pathogenesis-related protein-5 activates the defense response pathway and enhances the resistance to fungal infection." PLoS One 6(3): e17973.
- Yaish M.W.F., D.R. Guevara, A. El-Kereamy and S.J. Rothstein (2010). Axillary Shoot Branching in Plants. Biotechnological Perspectives. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
- Yaish, M. W.; El-Kereamy, A. (2010). "The APETALA-2-like transcription factor OsAP2-39 controls key interactions between abscisic acid and gibberellin in rice." PLoS Genet 6(9): e1001098.
- El-kereamy, A.; Jayasankar, S. (2009). "Expression analysis of a plum pathogenesis related 10 (PR10) protein during brown rot infection." Plant Cell Rep 28(1): 95-102.
- El-Sharkawy, I.; Kim, W. S. (2007). "Isolation and characterization of four ethylene signal transduction elements in plums (Prunus salicina L.)." J Exp Bot 58(13): 3631-43.
- Chervin, Christian; El-Kereamy, Ashraf (2006). "Comment l`ethylene stimule l'accumulation des anthocyanes dans les baies de raisin." Revue des oenologues et des techniques viticoles et oenologiques NÂ° 119: 21-22.
- Chervin, C., Tira-Umphon, A., El-Kereamy, A., Roustan, J.P., Lamon, J., Latche, A., Bouzayen, M. and Kanellis, A. (2005). "Ethylene is required for the ripening of grape." Acta Horticulturae. (ISHS) 689: 251-256.
- Chervin, C., El Kereamy, A., Renouf, V., Rohmer, C., Roques, A., Garin, P., Guichaoua, L., Sanvoisin, M., Roustan, J.P., Savocchia, S. and van Heeswijck, R. (2004). "Changes in grape maturity induced by spraying ethanol." Acta Hort. (ISHS) 640: 305-311.
- Chervin, Christian; El-Kereamy, Ashraf (2004). "Ethylene seems required for the berry development and ripening in grape, a non-climacteric fruit." Plant Science 167(6): 1301-1305.
- Tesniere, C.; Pradal, M. (2004). "Involvement of ethylene signalling in a non-climacteric fruit: new elements regarding the regulation of ADH expression in grapevine." J Exp Bot 55(406): 2235-40.
- Afifi, M.; El-Kereamy, A. (2003). "Control of anthocyanin biosynthesis pathway gene expression by eutypine, a toxin from Eutypa lata, in grape cell tissue cultures." J Plant Physiol 160(8): 971-5.
- Chervin C, El-Kereamy A, Rache P, Tournaire A, Roger B, Westercamp P, Goubran F, Salib S, Holmes R. (2003). "Ethanol vapours to complement or suppress sulfite fumigation of table grapes." Acta Hort. ( ISHS) 628
- El-Kereamy, Ashraf; Chervin, Christian (2003). "Exogenous ethylene stimulates the long-term expression of genes related to anthocyanin biosynthesis in grape berries." Physiologia Plantarum 119(2): 175-182.
- Chervin, C.; Romieu, C. (2002). "Ethanol application at veraison decreases acidity in Cabernet Sauvignon grapes." Vitis: Journal of Grapevine Research
- El Kereamy, Ashraf; Chervin, Christian (2002). "Ethanol triggers grape gene expression leading to anthocyanin accumulation during berry ripening." Plant Science 163(3): 449-454.
- Chervin, Christian; Elkereamy, Ashraf (2001). "An ethanol spray at veraison enhances colour in red wines." Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research 7(3): 144-145.
- EL-Hammady, A; Shaltout, A (1998). "Effect of GA treatments on fruit quality of Flame Seedless grape cv." Arab Universities Journal of Agricultural Sciences 6: 531-542.
- El-kereamy, A (2016). "Potassium management in vineyard." Vit Tips Newsletter June
- El-kereamy, A (2016). "Tips to Maintain Table Grape Quality during Postharvest Storage." Vit Tips Newsletter Fall
- El-kereamy, A (2016). "Vineyard Management During Stress: Heat and Heat Waves." Vit Tips Newsletter March
- El-kereamy, A (2015). "Factors Affecting Red Grape Coloration." Vit Tips Newsletter August/September
- El-kereamy, A (2015). Listening to grapevine bud break. Vit Tips Newsletter. April/May. April/May.
- El-kereamy, A; Haviland, D (2015). "Situation Update and Management Tips for Pierce’s Disease and Glassy-Winged Sharpshooter." Vit Tips Newsletter December
- El-kereamy A, Dhekney S (2012). Improving Grapevine Tolerance to Drought and Heat Stress Using Safe and Eco-Friendly Technologies, USA -Egypt Joint collaborative research grant. Wyoming University-USA and Ain Shams university-Egypt, USDA-DFS. 100000.
- Rothstein, SJ; Y, Bi and A El-kereamy (2012). Methods of Increasing Tolerance to Heat Stress and Amino Acid Content of Plants, Canada & USA patent # WO 2013136273 A2. University of Guelph, Canada.
- Rothstein, SJ; Y, Bi and A El-kereamy (2012). MYB55 Promoter and use thereof, Canada & USA patent # WO 2013136274 A1. University of Guelph, Canada.